Power Washing and Roof Cleaning Forum

Welcome to the National Soft Wash Alliance, America's Number One Networking and Training Forum. Join Today, Donations to keep the forum going are accepted, Bottom of the Home Page
Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: Cost Saving Ideas


Approved Exterior Cleaner

Status: Offline
Posts: 1370
Date:
Cost Saving Ideas
Permalink  
 


I responded in another post about cost saving and though I'd make a separate post also.

For me, one of the easiest ways to save money on SH this season will be simply to reduce the amount I use on house washes, I've always used too much,.and never adjusted from a "clean" house I do every year to a house that is covered in mold. I guess I'm just wasteful.  But this year I will be less wasteful and will be adjusting accordingly. I figure I should be able to get two for one without any sacrifice on my regular customers. 

*Roofs need what they need, can't really reduce much there. 

**I've also already purchased all of the Pinalen I will need for the season,.and then some. 

***Any other ideas?  Lets hear them!

 

Jeff

 



__________________

Raystown Pressure Washing

Since 1996



Approved Exterior Cleaner

Status: Offline
Posts: 1370
Date:
Permalink  
 

Another option is to add a service or two. Like washing windows, staining decks,.etc, etc,..Nothing too far off of what we do now.
As I mentioned in another thread,.I picked up an old account from a local anchorage for pontoon cleaning,..with the option to clean the fiberglass/gel coat bottoms as well. Mot interested on that at this point,..we shall see.

Jeff

__________________

Raystown Pressure Washing

Since 1996



Head Quarters

Status: Offline
Posts: 860
Date:
Permalink  
 

I'm cutting back on the free extras. I do way to much and sometimes I don't think they even notice If I can save a gallon or two per job it will add up at the end of the week

__________________

1534045 (500×500)



Approved Exterior Cleaner

Status: Offline
Posts: 831
Date:
Permalink  
 

In addition to the normal softwash tips I have on a 4 banger, I also have a reduced down tip 2515 that is great for getting good coverage with less volume of water. I generally use this for second and 3rd coats on a roof and areas where I need to be accurate and have little runoff. The spray is almost that of a heavy mist.



Attachments
__________________

 

Dirty-Roof.com

 

Slateroofcleaning.Com 

516-804-0447



Approved Exterior Cleaner

Status: Offline
Posts: 3092
Date:
Permalink  
 

I haven't gotten to far in my brain to figure out where and how to save. I'm a cheap penny pincher, so I know there will be something really soon.



__________________

 

 

Brett Thompson

Blue Ridge Exterior Cleaning

BlueRidgeExteriorCleaning.com

434-466-1324    540-949-6277

brett@BlueRidgeExteriorCleaning.com



Approved Exterior Cleaner

Status: Offline
Posts: 1370
Date:
Permalink  
 

DirtyRoofcom wrote:

In addition to the normal softwash tips I have on a 4 banger, I also have a reduced down tip 2515 that is great for getting good coverage with less volume of water. I generally use this for second and 3rd coats on a roof and areas where I need to be accurate and have little runoff. The spray is almost that of a heavy mist.


 Great post,and got my mind working! !  I indicated in my post that I will be using the same percentage on roofs because that's what roofs require,..and not much room for lighter solutions. But, concentrating a little more on how much I use will be a way to save some. Altough, I've always been pretty good at getting good coverage with minimal runoff,..I will try and do even better and be a little more patient while it flows down. 

I will also be more patient on waiting for the mix to work,..I AM guilty of respraying too quickly,....

 

Jeff



-- Edited by Jeff Wible on Friday 4th of March 2022 06:11:41 AM

__________________

Raystown Pressure Washing

Since 1996



Approved Exterior Cleaner

Status: Offline
Posts: 3092
Date:
Permalink  
 

I was thinking of new things, but there are many things we all do to save money every year. One of my biggest is to use Arm & Hammer with an additive from a local supplier for roof soap. I get it at Costco and the additive is for cling. The only things I have shipped in are things I cannot get local. I just ordered 5 gals. of One Restore. Shipping... $41.00!

Good post! As I think of more things... I'll be back!



__________________

 

 

Brett Thompson

Blue Ridge Exterior Cleaning

BlueRidgeExteriorCleaning.com

434-466-1324    540-949-6277

brett@BlueRidgeExteriorCleaning.com



Approved Exterior Cleaner

Status: Offline
Posts: 1370
Date:
Permalink  
 

BlueRidge wrote:

I haven't gotten to far in my brain to figure out where and how to save. I'm a cheap penny pincher, so I know there will be something really soon.


 If anything can get a brain in gear Brett,..it's anything money related, Ha, Ha,

Jeff



__________________

Raystown Pressure Washing

Since 1996



Approved Exterior Cleaner

Status: Offline
Posts: 3092
Date:
Permalink  
 

Jeff Wible wrote:
BlueRidge wrote:

I haven't gotten to far in my brain to figure out where and how to save. I'm a cheap penny pincher, so I know there will be something really soon.


 If anything can get a brain in gear Brett,..it's anything money related, Ha, Ha,

Jeff


   



__________________

 

 

Brett Thompson

Blue Ridge Exterior Cleaning

BlueRidgeExteriorCleaning.com

434-466-1324    540-949-6277

brett@BlueRidgeExteriorCleaning.com



Approved Exterior Cleaner

Status: Offline
Posts: 5259
Date:
Permalink  
 

I D/S with an Envirospec stainless sud succker. I average about 7 gallons on a house. I'm going to try and cut a gallon or so. I always start on the worst side of the house and spray all 4 sides and go back, hit again as needed. Gutters get hit twice and I don't rinse them. Sometimes I will blast them with a 6 GPM  zero to help things along. Then I smoke a Cigar to waste some time!

 

 



__________________

            clean rite logo (3).jpg

                          Suffolk County Long Island New York

                     Power Washing and Roof Cleaning Long Island

                                          Clean Rite Blog

 

 

 

                  

                    

              

 



Approved Exterior Cleaner

Status: Offline
Posts: 1370
Date:
Permalink  
 

The thing is Art,..I don't smoke cigars? So not sure this plan will work for me, Ha, Ha,..

Jeff

__________________

Raystown Pressure Washing

Since 1996



Approved Exterior Cleaner

Status: Offline
Posts: 3092
Date:
Permalink  
 

Art O wrote:

I D/S with an Envirospec stainless sud succker. I average about 7 gallons on a house. I'm going to try and cut a gallon or so. I always start on the worst side of the house and spray all 4 sides and go back, hit again as needed. Gutters get hit twice and I don't rinse them. Sometimes I will blast them with a 6 GPM  zero to help things along. Then I smoke a Cigar to waste some time!

 

 


If I was the one doing the work... the cigar is a great added plan of attack! If the crew "wasted" time... I'd completely lose it! They do enough of that anyway! And... want raises and bonuses!



__________________

 

 

Brett Thompson

Blue Ridge Exterior Cleaning

BlueRidgeExteriorCleaning.com

434-466-1324    540-949-6277

brett@BlueRidgeExteriorCleaning.com



Approved Exterior Cleaner

Status: Offline
Posts: 3092
Date:
Permalink  
 

DirtyRoofcom wrote:

In addition to the normal softwash tips I have on a 4 banger, I also have a reduced down tip 2515 that is great for getting good coverage with less volume of water. I generally use this for second and 3rd coats on a roof and areas where I need to be accurate and have little runoff. The spray is almost that of a heavy mist.


Curious about the J rod picture. I put all the nozzles in so the spray pattern is exactly the same. IE: the angles are all in line. If I remember, I'll post a J rod set up.



__________________

 

 

Brett Thompson

Blue Ridge Exterior Cleaning

BlueRidgeExteriorCleaning.com

434-466-1324    540-949-6277

brett@BlueRidgeExteriorCleaning.com



Approved Exterior Cleaner

Status: Offline
Posts: 1370
Date:
Permalink  
 

I agree Brett,..my nozzles have to be all aligned perfectly crossways with the length of the "Banger" .

*Also,..when I park my wheels have to be straight,.... and I could never leave my wipers half ways up the windshield when I turn the engine off, Wipers off first, and then shut the engine off, Ha,Ha,...Minor OCD issues going on here!!

Jeff

__________________

Raystown Pressure Washing

Since 1996



Approved Exterior Cleaner

Status: Offline
Posts: 3092
Date:
Permalink  
 

Jeff Wible wrote:

I agree Brett,..my nozzles have to be all aligned perfectly crossways with the length of the "Banger" .

*Also,..when I park my wheels have to be straight,.... and I could never leave my wipers half ways up the windshield when I turn the engine off, Wipers off first, and then shut the engine off, Ha,Ha,...Minor OCD issues going on here!!

Jeff


Well Jeff... that explains it! Old, set in our ways and OCD!

Hell, it really comes down to the right things to do. I hate wipers that come on a dry window! No wonder we are self employed. I have had one paycheck job since 1980! Or as my X called it... "a real job." Attention to detail is a lost art! Doing little things that make your life easier (reducing call backs) in the end, is so simple. In the case of a house wash, not looking at the house with an investigative eye, more so than the customer, could result in at least an hour of free work, depending on where the house is.



__________________

 

 

Brett Thompson

Blue Ridge Exterior Cleaning

BlueRidgeExteriorCleaning.com

434-466-1324    540-949-6277

brett@BlueRidgeExteriorCleaning.com



Approved Exterior Cleaner

Status: Offline
Posts: 5259
Date:
Permalink  
 

My J rods

The one on the left is Guys shoot, That's my favorite. If I lost it I would freak out. It shots the best. The #6 zero on the end I use for rinsing hard to get stains. The j rod on the left is KEC. Not as good as guys shooter, but the different tips that come in handy. Pic won't reduce

 



Attachments
__________________

            clean rite logo (3).jpg

                          Suffolk County Long Island New York

                     Power Washing and Roof Cleaning Long Island

                                          Clean Rite Blog

 

 

 

                  

                    

              

 



Approved Exterior Cleaner

Status: Offline
Posts: 831
Date:
Permalink  
 

I feel personally attacked!!! 🤣🤣

I usually have some ocd issues as well but here's the reason w the jrod.

For what ever the reason the milling on the Jrod and the 1/4 Meg nozzles are not perfect match. When I screw in some nozzles they only go in 1-1.5 turns which is not really adequate so I just tighten them as much as I can and forget about lining them up.

Funny part is, that not being lined up has no effect on the outcome of the job....🙂

__________________

 

Dirty-Roof.com

 

Slateroofcleaning.Com 

516-804-0447



Approved Exterior Cleaner

Status: Offline
Posts: 1370
Date:
Permalink  
 

Ha, Ha,..Erik,..take no offense. But you really should try to get with it, Ha, Ha,.. I know exactly what you mean by the tightening aspect and how the nozzle lines up when snugged down. That is a pain. Not sure if you use dope or teflon tape or nothing at all. But the dope I think allows for more fine tuning?? Gives a little better sealing than nothing at all if left a tad loose. Doesn't take much to seal these threads,..and maybe using nothing at all works,..I just always use a little dope,....The path of least resistance is out of the orifice, so there isn't any type of real pressure trying to escape through the threads.

*I'm sure you're used to them the way they are, and correct,.makes no difference at the end of the job.


Jeff

__________________

Raystown Pressure Washing

Since 1996



Approved Exterior Cleaner

Status: Offline
Posts: 3092
Date:
Permalink  
 

DirtyRoofcom wrote:

I feel personally attacked!!! 🤣🤣

I usually have some ocd issues as well but here's the reason w the jrod.

For what ever the reason the milling on the Jrod and the 1/4 Meg nozzles are not perfect match. When I screw in some nozzles they only go in 1-1.5 turns which is not really adequate so I just tighten them as much as I can and forget about lining them up.

Funny part is, that not being lined up has no effect on the outcome of the job....🙂


I get it completely! I thought you might "feel offended"! biggrin

I had the same problem years ago but we use a ratchet to snug them. We always use Tru-Blue which helps. As long as you are the one using it, no big deal. If it's employees, there HAS to be a dummy proof way of doing things. At least I try to make the effort!                   



__________________

 

 

Brett Thompson

Blue Ridge Exterior Cleaning

BlueRidgeExteriorCleaning.com

434-466-1324    540-949-6277

brett@BlueRidgeExteriorCleaning.com



Approved Exterior Cleaner

Status: Offline
Posts: 831
Date:
Permalink  
 

Here's one I thought of yesterday on first day of season.

Scheduling the jobs in a way to minimize travel time and distance is now more important than ever. I used to not mind driving around to diff jobs to fill the day.

__________________

 

Dirty-Roof.com

 

Slateroofcleaning.Com 

516-804-0447



Approved Exterior Cleaner

Status: Offline
Posts: 5259
Date:
Permalink  
 

I put a picture up that I couldn't reduce and it stretched the hole thread 



__________________

            clean rite logo (3).jpg

                          Suffolk County Long Island New York

                     Power Washing and Roof Cleaning Long Island

                                          Clean Rite Blog

 

 

 

                  

                    

              

 



Approved Exterior Cleaner

Status: Offline
Posts: 1230
Date:
Permalink  
 

When I was running another company after meeting with the client and the guys were setting up I would ask if they were friendly with any of the neighbors (who also had dirty roofs) to come and watch, and then would drive around neighborhood doing cold call sales and try to get on-the-spot sales. Worked pretty good especially if they lived on the block.
The guys could jump right over to another job and if they needed more SH I would run to the nearest pool store for more.

__________________

Maverick Contracting

Long Island, N.Y.



Approved Exterior Cleaner

Status: Offline
Posts: 1370
Date:
Permalink  
 

DirtyRoofcom wrote:

Here's one I thought of yesterday on first day of season.

Scheduling the jobs in a way to minimize travel time and distance is now more important than ever. I used to not mind driving around to diff jobs to fill the day.


 Yea,..that is food for thought. I was the same way,..I didn't make any special arrangements to look at work before. But now I may try to be organized about it. 

Jeff



__________________

Raystown Pressure Washing

Since 1996



Approved Exterior Cleaner

Status: Offline
Posts: 5259
Date:
Permalink  
 

I'm raising my price, But I'm going to have to do selective raising. I can't hit people over the head who don't have the money.



__________________

            clean rite logo (3).jpg

                          Suffolk County Long Island New York

                     Power Washing and Roof Cleaning Long Island

                                          Clean Rite Blog

 

 

 

                  

                    

              

 



Approved Exterior Cleaner

Status: Offline
Posts: 5259
Date:
Permalink  
 

Jeff Wible wrote:
DirtyRoofcom wrote:

Here's one I thought of yesterday on first day of season.

Scheduling the jobs in a way to minimize travel time and distance is now more important than ever. I used to not mind driving around to diff jobs to fill the day.


 Yea,..that is food for thought. I was the same way,..I didn't make any special arrangements to look at work before. But now I may try to be organized about it. 

Jeff


   They call, I go



__________________

            clean rite logo (3).jpg

                          Suffolk County Long Island New York

                     Power Washing and Roof Cleaning Long Island

                                          Clean Rite Blog

 

 

 

                  

                    

              

 



Head Quarters

Status: Offline
Posts: 860
Date:
Permalink  
 

Phones picking up. I'm getting a few calls a day. Not traveling very far from my base. Keeping it local.

__________________

1534045 (500×500)

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!